The San Diego County Air Pollution Control District (APCD)
administers several state-funded grant programs to cover
significant portions of the cost of replacing or repowering eligible equipment, which is then scrapped.
Grant applications are accepted for a limited time each year.
• When the grant program is opened, you can apply through the APCD Citizen Access online application system.
• As the grant application window is limited, potential OFF-ROAD CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT applicants may
wish to gather legible electronic copies of the needed documents in advance:
1. Documents showing usage of the existing engine for the past 24 months
2. Anticipated costs of replacement engine or equipment performing the same function as the existing unit
Written estimate (quote) from an equipment dealer documenting the
cost of each piece of replacement equipment and—if
3. Certification level of proposed engine
CARB Engine Executive Order or EPA Engine Certificate of Conformity for replacement engine (from the equipment dealer)
4. Applicant certification of compliance with federal, state, and local air quality regulations
Grant Program Regulatory Compliance Statement, signed after the grant period officially opens.
5. Tax Forms
6. Description of the existing equipment and engine
Legible photographs of: 1) equipment serial number tag, 2) engine serial number tag, and 3) for certified engines, the emission control label (showing EPA engine family name).
7. DOORS Fleet information
Documentation must include ALL of the following information from DOORS:
• Compliance Snapshot
• List of Vehicle Information
• Fleet Compliance Summary Statement
• Certificate of Reported Compliance
• Signed current year Responsible Official Affirmation of Reporting (ROAR) Form for diesel fleets and/or Reporting Attestation Form for Large Spark Ignition (LSI) fleets.
8. Proof you have owned the equipment for the past 24 months and there is no lienholder on the title.
Bill of sale for the existing equipment, maintenance/service records, or other documentation approved by the APCD
9. If active military service during the previous 24-month period prevents documentation of title, registration, usage or California operation requirements during the previous 24 months
DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty
Finally, if you are planning to apply for a grant, please keep the
following recommendations in mind:
• DO NOT PURCHASE NEW EQUIPMENT YET! New equipment funded by this program can only be ordered or
purchased once the contract is signed between the equipment owner and the APCD.
• KEEP EXISTING EQUIPMENT IN OPERATION! Existing equipment must be in operational condition and operating
at a similar activity level to that listed in the application until the equipment has been relinquished to an APCD approved dismantler.
• STAY COMPLIANT! Equipment must remain compliant at all times with all applicable federal, state, or local
regulations, and all applicable regulatory advisories, without the assistance of any grant funding requested in